Use Self-Experimentation to Enhance Your Leadership Plan
It can be difficult to change your life; not to mention the lives of others. There’s so much uncertainty and potential failure in the back of your mind. But what if you could view your life as a science experiment of sorts? You wouldn’t take the results personally. You’d just be a scientist observing the outcome. You could then judge the results and plan your next step. When developing your leadership plan, it is best to constantly analyze your results and adjust so that you become a better leader.
The idea of self-experimentation has several benefits:
- It removes the possibility of failure. You’re not testing yourself as a leader. You’re testing the effectiveness of an idea, possibly someone else’s idea. Your ego is safe.
- You’re actively attempting to enhance your life and the way you lead others. You have a goal and a plan to achieve it. You’re taking action. This is the first step to success.
- You judge the results and then seek to find an even better way. What could be more effective than this?
Experiment In Your Leadership Style and Enjoy the Process of Discovery
- Choose a theory or two that you’d like to test. There’s plenty of self-help advice to be found. Find an interesting theory and test it. Or put the program of a pickup artist to the test. Find something that interests you and has the potential to impact your life and the way you lead in a positive way.
- Awareness in your own life will transcend into your leadership behavior. Other ideas include diets, workout programs, changing sleep patterns, dropping a bad habit or adding a new one, meditating, fasting, or anything else you can think of. Change something in your own life and this will create a chain reaction into the way you lead. After all, leadership doesn’t start when you get to the “office.” Rather, a leader is always participating as a leader in all aspects of his/her life.
- You can use someone else’s plan or develop your own. Have you had a mentor who implemented practices that had a positive effect on your life? Use these ideas and see if they work in your ow practice. Educate yourself by actually measuring your own results.
- Learn what you need to know. Get the necessary materials and map out your plan. Consider the reasons why you think the program will work. Also consider why it might not work.
- Put your hypothesis to the test. Perform the experiment on yourself. Imagine you are your own leader. Follow your plan and see what happens. Find out if you were right or wrong in your predictions.
- Evaluate your data and formulate a conclusion. What did you learn about the leadership plan you mapped out? Could you tweak the process to improve it? Or was it a horrible idea that deserves no further investigation?
- Consider the next step. What do you want to do next? Do you want to continue down the same path or choose a completely different topic to bring to your team?
Are You Having Trouble Changing Your Leadership Plan
Do you have a hard time making changes in your leadership plan? Try viewing aspects of your plan through the eyes of a scientist. Create a theory and test it:
- Will wearing a sport coat to work result in receiving more respect? Wear one every day for a month and see.
- Will offering a longer lunch or a shorter day increase productivity levels? Implement the idea and measure it.
There’s no reason to guess. You have yourself to experiment upon. You can find out definitively what does and doesn’t work for you. Imagine all the incredible changes you could make after a couple of years of living this way! Explain to your team that you are going to be trying something new and you are open to their feedback. This will not only take some of the pressure off of you but allow the group to contribute their ideas as well.
Very best wishes for your every success,
P.S. I share an exclusive email newsletter as well as e-learning courses and cutting edge virtual training programs to help virtual entrepreneurs and dedicated team leaders with finding or expanding your niche within the limitless possibilities of your ever growing fields.. Sign up now and get this no cost, Audio Course, Commit to Excellence in Your Business or Job!